Friday, November 5, 2010

What a crack up!

On the dreaded day of Sept. 16th, I was playing co-ed volleyball at our stake center. I was playing at the net when a ball came my way. I went back, the guy behind me went forward, we collided and my ankle got caught in the middle of our momentum going in opposite directions. "Crack!" I heard something snap, so I sat there and waited for Ivan to come over. I told him that I think I broke my foot and wanted to leave to the ER now. I'm not sure why I didn't cry, it wasn't as bad as hard labor, right ladies? I got fireman carried out, which was embarrassing, but I was glad to go to the hospital.
On Ivan's Birthay, Sept.23, I got surgery. Basically they put in an internal splint that helps the bone grow back together correctly. As you can see from the x-ray, they put in a plate with 6 small and 2 ginormous screws. Ouch! When I came out of the anathesia, I was in tons of PAIN. The break was nothing compared to that! That night I think was the most painful night of my life. I couldn't bare it, and it was only an inner and outer ankle bone broken!
A couple weeks later on Oct 6th, I got the dressing removed, saw my leg for the first time, felt grossed out after seeing it, and then got a hard pink cast put on. That was actually pretty painful to get the cast put on. They had to push down on my achilles tendon, since it has stiffened up now.
Ouchie!!











At least the cast was pink.









On Oct. 20, I got the pink cast off, which felt great, Ahhhhh!!!! I did, however, miss the sweet love notes from the family that they wrote on my cast that seemed to help me get through the rough spots.
They took out the stitches, and fitted me for a boot. The boot is much more comfortable, just as effective as a cast, and allows me to take it off to wash up.














It didn't tickle. Yikes!







The incision seemed to be healing well and hurt less, even though I still had these shooting/ burning pains. All kinds of new and funky experiences with this one!





That's gonna leave a mark!




My next appointment is Nov.17 when my surgeon will let me start to move it a little bit. Then around Nov. 23 or so I get to put a little weight on it and start to walk again. It makes me get so exicted and tear up just thinking how thankful I'm going to be this Thanksgiving just to be able to walk again!!! Thank you everyone that has helped me, called me, prayed for me, or just wondered how I'm doing. I appreciate all of your thoughtfulness more than I can say!!!


5 comments:

JPI said...

Julie, this is what I've been wanting to see for a month now. Thanks for posting.

Elizabeth said...

Wow! You look amazing! The pink cast was so cute, I'm glad you can wash your foot now though. Sorry about all the pain! Loves!

kevandcan said...

Keep hanging in there, Jules. And don't over do it too early. :-)

calmrapids said...

OUCH! I'm so sorry! I need to bring you cookies or something!!

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better